Microsoft Power BI is a suite of business analytics tools to analyze data and share insights. Power BI dashboards provide a 360-degree view for business users with their most important metrics in one place, updated in real time, and available on all of their devices.
Power BI Desktop is a feature-rich data mashup and report authoring tool. Combine data from disparate databases, files, and web services with visual tools that help you understand and fix data quality and formatting issues automatically.
With the Power BI service, publish reports securely to your organization and setup automatic data refresh so everyone has the latest information. And you can access your data and reports from anywhere with the Power BI Mobile apps, which update automatically with any changes to your data.
Key components of the Power BI ecosystem comprises:
- Power BI Desktop
- The Windows-desktop-based application for PCs and desktops, primarily for designing and publishing reports to the Service.
- Power BI Service
- The SaaS (software as a service) based online service (formerly known as Power BI for Office 365, now referred to as PowerBI.com (or simply Power BI).
- Power BI Mobile Apps
- The Power BI Mobile apps for Android and iOS devices, as well as for Windows phones and tablets.
- Power BI Gateway
- Gateways used to sync external data in and out of Power BI. In Enterprise mode, can also be used by Flows and PowerApps in Office 365.
- Power BI Embedded
- Power BI Rest API can be used to build dashboards and reports into the custom applications that serves Power BI users, as well as non-Power BI users.
- Power BI Report Server
- An On-Premises Power BI Reporting solution for companies that won’t or can’t store data in the cloud-based Power BI Service.
- Power BI Visuals Marketplace
- A marketplace of custom visuals and R-powered visuals.