Reporting is a main part of any ERP system, and Business Central provides strong reporting capabilities. Here is an overview of reporting in Business Central:
A) Standard Reports:
Business Central has a set of standard reports that contain common business processes. These reports are already defined and can be easily generated to get a visual of financials, sales, purchases, and more.
B) Custom Reports:
Users can create custom reports using tools like Microsoft Word, Excel, or RDLC. Business Central allows you to design and customize reports based on specific requirements.
Let’s create a basic report in Word layout. To create a word layout report, follow the steps given below:
1) Create one report object file as shown below:
Note: To learn more about rendering and default rendering properties, please go through the attached link: HOW TO USE RENDERING PROPERTY IN THE BUSINESS CENTRAL REPORT
2) For the demo, let’s add a dataitem as a “Vendor”. To print a value on the report, let’s take the vendor number field in the defined dataitem and declare the variable for label as vendor number, as shown below:
3) After creating the report, build the report (click ‘Ctrl+ Shift+ B’), and then the “.docx” file will be generated as shown:
4) Open the “.docx” file externally, Click on the Developer tab, then click on the XML Mapping pane. After that, click on your defined report name from the list as attached:
5) Now you will be able to see the list of dataitems added to the report. Click on the dataitem name. Right-click on the field name. Click on Insert Content Control. Then click on plain text.
6) Now insert fields and design the report as per the requirements. Close the word layout and run the report from V-S Code.
Now, the report will be visible in Business Central with the name “Word Layout.”